Monday, December 7, 2009

Feeling the Christmas Spirit

In preparation of the Christmas festivities, I have been listening to Christmas music at home and work, baking cookies and breads for the smell and the pleasure of eating them, leaving the Christmas tree lights on and watching Christmas movies which will continue throughout the month to bring in the feeling of Christmas! So Saturday Chris and I had our ward Christmas Party which was not the best ward Christmas party I have ever been to. Maybe it was the food? The theme was a Mexican fiesta? We had taco salads and or burritos which is good food but not what I have in mind for a Christmas meal.... Non the less we had a nice time making small talk with the other members of our ward. We did however call it an early night by leaving after we all ate before Santa came for the young children and etc. We decided to talk our neighbors in to joining us in a "adult" activity since we did not have any children. Stephanie, Derek, Chris and myself went up to the Sandy Expo Center for the last day of the Festival of Trees!!! This was my first time going and I really enjoyed it a lot!!! It was the last day so most everything had been bought out with the Sold sign in front of the displays which was amazing for me to see considering all of them were for the Primary Children's fund! It was so touching to see all the work and creativity that goes into each display and than to have so many purchased!

Sunday was of course the day that Chris and I went over to his parents place, this time for an earlier dinner than the norm for the reason that the First Presidency Christmas Devotional was on at 6pm. This if nothing else ALWAYS gets me into the Christmas spirit! I love the spirit that comes into the room and feels our hearts with love and peace as the family gathers to hear the words of the prophet and his apostles. I love hearing the stories of families around the world and some of their childhood memories at Christmas time. It puts me in my place to remember the true meaning of Christmas before we get to far into the season and gives me the feeling of true gratitude for my family, trials and blessings.

In the month of December, Chris and I have for the last 4 years (including the year we dated in 2006) spent all of our family home evenings on Mondays with his family! I love it because we spend more time with family and that is what I treasure most :) We start it off with the first Monday after the Christmas devotional as our service project. In 2006 and 2007 we shopped for missionaries that Josh would recommend while on his mission in NY. I guess Aaron and Chris did that as well. I thought it was very sweet because there was always that missionary that did not receive the support from his family either it be that they were of different religion and or they did not stay in contact therefore they would have not received anything for Christmas. After that the Whitchurch boys had all went on and returned from missions so 2008 we took care of a family that we new could not afford the extra expenses Christmas brings if you were to do gifts for one other. Today, Chris and I joined the Whitchurch family to assist at a near bye Angel Tree. This was harder than I thought it would be. The details were so vague that it was hard to know what the children really had in mind. Non the less, it felt good to help!

No comments: